It is common knowledge that spring is the peak season to sell a house. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t have a great home sale during other times of the year. In fact, many real estate agents think the later months are a great time to sell. While some buyers stop their home search towards the end of the year, there are many people who are relocating, want to move immediately, or many other reasons. Here are some tips to think about when selling your home in the fall.
What is the real estate market like in the fall?
The number of homes on the market is usually lower in the fall than in the spring and summer. But, those who are shopping in the fall are likely to be serious about buying. The hotter the local real estate market, the less significant a role seasonality plays.
Pros and cons of selling in the fall
- The seasonal atmosphere makes your home feel warm and welcoming.
- Serious buyers are motivated to purchase quickly, before the busy holiday season and bad weather sets in.
- In early fall, it is typically light enough to do weeknight showings, in addition to weekend open houses.
- It’s a misconception that the vast majority of buyer’s families shopping to fit kids. More than half of buyers don’t have kids under 18 at home, so fall is as good a time as any.
- Quicker transactions; since there are fewer real estate transactions going on.
- Since it is an off-peak season, there are fewer buyers than in the spring.
- Busy work and school schedules and holiday plans can make it hard to schedule showings.
- Worsening weather can make showings difficult.
Overcome the challenges of selling your home in the fall
If you have decided to sell in the fall, work as quickly as possible. It is much easier to sell in the fall than in the winter/Holiday months.
Photograph your property
The earlier in the fall they’re taken, the better. Natural light will be better and your outdoor space will look ideal for pictures.
Clean and declutter
Doing a deep clean and clearing out clutter is always a good idea when you’re selling your home. Being prepared with a clean home will allow you to accommodate a quick closing if needed.
Hire a professional agent
Whether you’re selling in the spring, summer, fall, or winter, it is important to hire a real estate agent who knows what they’re doing. When you’re chatting with agents, ask what their strategies are for selling in the fall or an off-peak season.
Consult with Freedom 512’s top-notch agents who have worked in all aspects of real estate. Your home sale is their priority, chat with a Freedom 512 Realtor® today.